About This Site

Russell Family

Herbert Family

Campbell Family

Steward Family

About Cardington


Hazel was my (Jean) mother. She was born on February 20, 1908 in Cardington, Ohio, to Lennie Sanford Russell and Nellie Dell James Russell. She was born east of Cardington at the home of her grandparents, Edward Montalban James and Olive Elizabeth Smith James. She was named Hazel because, her mother told her, she liked the name of her cousin, Hazel McKee. Hazel and Beatrice were granddaughters of one of Grandma Olive Elizabeth James' sisters (Julia Ann Smith Collins). Elizabeth was after her Grandma James.

HAZEL RUSSELL - 5 Months old in 1908

HAZEL AND MAMA - 5 months - 1908

HAZEL RUSSELL - No date on picture

HAZEL RUSSELL - 18 months old. August 1909

Her mother and father moved into town (Cardington) when she was 18 months old. They lived in part of a 2 story white house on the west side of South Marion Street, second one from the corner across from the Methodist Church. Yakes owned the house. Mother said "Grandma" Yake must have liked her for she gave her a pretty little plate, cup and saucer, and a green/yellow glass shoe. (I have these now and they have always been favorites of mine.)

HAZEL RUSSELL - A fly on her leg!


Mother wrote on this picture. I remember - Uncle Cliff came to Cardington to get Howard Neal and me. His dog had these cute puppies. Mr. Neal took our picture on Uncle Cliffs front porch. About 1914.

HAZEL, 7 years old, holding doll, Flora Dora. 1915

Mother wrote that she liked to go to Uncle and Auntie's (Lockworth and Lila James) to their home in the country east of Cardington. In bad weather it was a treat for her to ride in a storm buggy to their house. The buggy was rather like a tall black box on wheels. She liked to ride in the rain and watch the mud splash under the horse's feet but felt sorry for it out in the rain.

Next, they moved to the 2nd house from corner and west on Walnut Street. One of her friends, Inez Fleming lived across the street.

Her father, Lennie, loved the outdoors and so they did things like fishing, frog hunting, boating and camping.

Here are more things mother remembered and wrote about.

I remember Cardington's lamplighter (Charles Booher) going about his rounds, lighting the sidewalk side gas lamps. They were on black iron posts with a big, glass enclosed lantern atop. This enclosed the mantel (mantels?) which were lit with a long taper like lighter he held above his head. I seem to remember most the one on the South East corner of the square. The same square my Grandma Olive James told me about how she remembered when it was very wet and marshy there and she saw them filling it with huge boulders and logs.

When I was young we lived one house from Cardington's Fire Chief. The fire bell was on a tower in the park. When it rang Sandy (as everyone called him) Sanderson

Sandy (as everyone called him) Sanderson, taken sometime in the 50's.

would dash to the barn where he kept his horses and soon here they came out the alley all hitched and raring to go. We would always ask "Central" (telephone operator) where's the fire? Always thankful to learn it was not the haybarn where Daddy always had much hay stored for shipping. Then mother, who could drive, would take Carrie (Mrs. Sanderson) and me and we would go see what was going on. Strange - I remember all this excitement, yet do not remember seeing a fire. Surely we did though as we usually went when Sandy did. Jean's note: I also remember going to fires when I was young. Seems there was always a neighbor or someone going and took me along.

110 Walnut Street, where we lived, as well as all other side streets were thick with dust - inches! It was soft to walk in with bare feet, more so after a rain. Spring cleaning was really a cleaning then. Rugs out to be beaten over the clothesline. Curtains down and washed as were windows. A complete hubbub. How did mom ever do it all? Our meals always good and on time too. I liked to come home from school and sit atop the step ladder - big help!

I remember mother's (Nellie) pretty dark auburn hair which had natural waves. I would watch her brush it and do it up in the mornings.

I liked to play on the stairs (in the house on Walnut Street) and had an imaginary playmate named Mabel.

This was a time when there were several saloons in town. I remember a night when Papa was away on business. Mama held me on her lap, as we sat before the little gas stove in the dark, and assured me that we were alright. It was only a drunk stumbling around on our back porch. He soon went away.

Uncle Lockworth often brought me candy. Sometimes mints, sometimes candy corn. Then he brought me real shelled corn and laughed when I wasn't sure but what it was candy. I kept it in the little wooden bucket and made corn designs on the floor. (Jean's note: I have the bucket now. I remember Uncle and Auntie always brought me something when they went somewhere even if it was only to Marion or Columbus.)

Here is a picture of mother's 4th grade class. I thought it would be nice to have the picture of the classroom. The desks look very much like the ones I used in grade school years later!

Names of students in this class.

First row on right, front to back: John Northrup, Thelma Slagle, Walter McClaren, Nellie Dennis, Ruth Fish

Second Row: Geraldine Stanly, Bernice Dennis, Hazel E. Russell, Mary Margaret Farrington, Robert Peadon, Foster Scribner

Third Row: Leland Cahoon, Lloyd Harris, Virginia Emswiler, Kenneth Jones, Charles Barton, Carl Benson

Fourth Row: Opal Haycook, Kenneth Schuerman?, ?Lloyd Jones, Merlin Holt

Fifth Row: Lois Sherman, Orville Williams, Forest McDonald

Miss Mamie Payne was the teacher.


Her hat and scarf were made of possum fur.
I imagine her father Lennie caught the possums.

Mother went to Cardington School and graduated from there May 20, 1926.


My mother did a book for each of my boys called "Grandmother Remembers". I will be putting some things she wrote in them in this. Following are things she wrote about her friends.

I had many friends but Virginia Emswiler (Richey) and I shared a liking especially for books and camping. Mary Margaret Farrington (Byrd) lived near by. We have been friends from Cradle Roll days. There is a nail, tied with a blue ribbon, in the front foundation of our first home, 425 West Main Street, which Virginia contributed to my hope chest. I had a playhouse under a big pear tree in our back yard. Just a little, old, well-scrubbed shed, but we had such good times. My mother made little pies and a friends mother made little loaves of bread for us. We had lots of good meals there and often slept there. Starting the summer I was six, I had my first little garden behind it &Mac246; a few flowers, some lettuce, radishes, and learned how much Goldfinches like cosmos seeds.

When she was quite young, she saw President and Mrs. Wilson in a motorcade in Columbus, Ohio. They were in a large touring car with the top down. Mrs. Wilson wore a very large pretty hat and he a silk top hat.

In Marion, Ohio, she shook hands with President and Mrs. Harding as they stood on the front steps of their home.


This was the first plane mother ever saw. For some reason, it landed on the Smith homestead farm in Uncle Cliff's field north of Cardington. This was during World War I and no pictures were allowed but Uncle Cliff got some anyway.

Mother was active in a lot of different things. She played the piano and sang. She was in the church choir. I remember when I was young (probably around 4 or 5) she would play the piano and we would sing and grandpa (Lennie) would do a little "dance". The song "Whispering" was good for that!

Hazel at her piano. The picture above the piano is now in our living room!

She liked to do crafts and painting. She was very good. She used to make centerpieces and favors for parties for people.

She loved flowers and we always had flower gardens. I'm sure that is where I got my love for them too.

She was a 50 year member of Mildred Chapter 85 Order of the Eastern Star and a charter and 50 year member of Reveille Club. She was a Campfire Guardian for four years and a Girl Scout Leader for 10 years.

It was while we lived on Morgan Street that I tried to teach my mother how to ride a bike. There was a lane that ran along the side of our property to the north. That is where I tried to teach her but I wound up holding her up all the way. Next day, I think every muscle in my body hurt! She never did learn.


She couldn't wait to show me this picture to prove she could ride a bike! March 1988. She was in Florida.

My mother and dad were married May 27, 1928. For the years 1928 to 1983 go to HAZEL ELIZABETH RUSSELL CAMPBELL AND HERBERT BERNARD CAMPBELL.

The following covers years 1983 to 1994.

After my dad died, one of the first things we did was to take mother on a trip to Niagara Falls. She had never been there and was thrilled. We had a motor home which she loved. We went up into Canada from Niagara Falls. I had fallen down the stairs and was on crutches so I pretty much stayed in the motor home while Web took mother and showed her things.

Not too long after that trip, we found out she could get a senior citizen ticket with an airline that was good for a year. She could fly anywhere, anytime she wanted to. She had never been on a plane before so another

new experience for her! Once she got started, she just kept going. California, Texas, Florida, Arizona and Hawaii. Don&Mac226;t know if that was all. Some of the places she went more than once.

PIC 17

Mother wrote on back of this picture: April 14, 1984. Me! 1st time in Gulf &Mac246; Crystal Beach on Galveston


PIC 18

Mother wrote on picture: May 19, 1984. My first contact with the Pacific. Kaemia Point Beach, Oahu

PIC 19


Riverside, California &Mac246; 1984

PIC 20

Mother wrote on picture: August 1984. Great-Grandma Hazel and Kristin Marie (Winchell), at home (in Riverside, California), after her baptism. She&Mac226;s 2 months old. Our 1st girl! And I got to fly to Riverside for her baptism. Wonderful!

PIC 21


This picture was taken July 12, 1985 after Lester Russell&Mac226;s funeral. Left to right: Louise Russell, wife of Harold (deceased), Cindy Russell, wife of Ernest (deceased), Hazel Russell Campbell, Vinnie Russell, wife of Zeb (deceased), and Dolly Russell Worline.

In 1986, she moved to the new Senior Citizen

Apartments in Heath, Ohio. That was a lot closer to where we lived.

PIC 22



Easter Sunday in Sarasota, Florida, 1989

She was a member of the First United Methodist

Church and attended church all of her life. She sang alto in the choir.

PIC 23


From 1986 to about 1993, she still got to go a lot of places. We made trips to Dallas, Texas at least once a year and she always went with us. In 1993, her health was not so good. She also had macular degeneration and it got to the point that she was legally blind. She hated it so because she loved to read. I finally got her talked into the „talking books‰ and once she tried them she really liked them. She was going through about six books a week.

Then, she started having some bad spells and would have to call the squad. Sometimes, they kept her in the hospital for a day or two and sometimes they would send her back home. Around the end of October 1994, she went to the hospital again and they kept her for a few days. When she was released, I insisted that she come home with me. She didn&Mac226;t look like she was very good and I didn&Mac226;t feel she should be alone. She was here about two weeks. I had a screened in porch and a chair she really liked and she
would spend most of her time there. She enjoyed being so close to the water (along Buckeye Lake) and even though she couldn&Mac226;t see them, she could see some color and knew it was my flowers. By November 13th, she had made up her mind she was going back home. The 13th was my son Bret&Mac226;s birthday and we had a family dinner. After that she said she was going. I tried my best to talk her out of it but she was determined to go. As she was getting ready to leave, she had another one of her „spells‰. She finally let us call the squad and back to the hospital she went. They kept her and after she got there she had a stroke. The doctor told me there was no way I could take care of her because she was going to have to have 24 hour care. So we started making arrangements for a nursing home but before they got her moved, she passed away. That was November 19, 1994.

Mother&Mac226;s Obituary

Hazel Russell Campbell

Hazel Elizabeth Campbell, 86, of South 30th Street, Heath, formerly of Cardington, died Thursday at Licking Memorial Hospital in Newark.

Mrs. Campbell was born Feb.20, 1908, in Cardington to Lennie S. and Nellie D. James Russell. She was a 1926 graduate of Cardington High School
and she and lived in Cardington for more than 70 years.

She moved to Reynoldsburg in 1978 and to Heath in 1986. She was a member of First United Methodist Church, a 50-year member of Mildred Chapter 85 Order of the Eastern Star and a charter and 50-year member of Reveille Club.

Mrs. Campbell is survived by a daughter, Jean Winchell of Thornville; five grandchildren; and six great-grandchildren.

She was preceded in death on July 16, 1983, by her husband, Herbert Campbell, whom she married May 27, 1928.

A memorial service will be held Monday at 1 p.m. at Gompf funeral Home by the Rev. William Buell of First United Methodist Church. Calling hours will be Monday from noon to 1 p.m. at Gompf Funeral Home. Burial will be in Glendale Cemetery.

Memorial contributions may be made to the Cardington Public Library, 128 E. Main St., Cardington 43315, or the library of the donor&Mac226;s choice.