About This Site

Russell Family

Herbert Family

Campbell Family

Steward Family

About Cardington



Ludwell and Martha Ann were my Great-Great-Grandparents. He was born December 25, 1813 in Loudoun County, Virginia to David and Charlotte Bradfield James. He was fifth in a family of eleven children.

Ludwell James and Martha Ann Joy were united in marriage on September 28, 1843. They had four children: Martha (died in infancy), Amos Wilder, Edward Montalban and Olivia.

Picture was taken December 4, 1868
by J. B. Clark, photographer, Cardington, Ohio
Monty would have been nine years old.

Some of the following was copied from The Memorial and Biographical Record of Delaware, Union and Morrow Counties, Ohio by my mother Hazel. It was published in1895.

Rev. L. W. James, who resides on a farm in Lincoln Township, Morrow County, Ohio, is one of the venerable citizens of the County. He was born in Loudoun County, Virginia, Dec. 25, 1812, and is of Dutch origin. (Hazel’s note: Our Bible pages say 1813. I’m very curious about that Dutch origin as I’ve always thought James was English. My note: I am going to see what I can find out about that.)

Ludwell received his first schooling in his native county (Loudoun). He came with his parents to Ohio in 1835, and for a time went to one of the log schoolhouses of Delaware County; after which he was for three years a student in the Norwalk High School, Dr. Thompson, afterward Bishop, being at that time principal of the Norwalk schools. After completing his studies, Mr. James was ordained as a minister of the Methodist Episcopal Church. The first year of his work was as an evangelist. Then he had charges at Sidney and in Harden County.

After his marriage on September 28, 1843, he had a charge at Geneva, Sunbury, and other points, and in 1844 he moved to Nashville, Ohio. From 1845 until 1847, he was stationed at Melmore, and from 1847 to 1848, at Woodbury, Ohio.

In 1848 he bought his present farm, and here he has since resided, carrying on agricultural pursuits and also giving much of his time to the work of the ministry, he having since that date been a local preacher. In his political affiliations, Mr. James has always been a Republican.

In all the papers and notes that I have about Ludwell, the Civil War was never mentioned, but I know he was a “Squirrel Hunter” because I have his discharge and letter (see below).

The governor of Ohio called for all armed minute-men because of the threat to Cincinnati by the “enemies of the Union”. It was met with a prompt response and thousands with double barreled shot guns and squirrel rifles, known henceforward as Squirrel-Hunters, poured into the city.

Because this is a little hard to read, following is what is says.

Cincinnati was menaced by the enemies of our Union. David Tod, Governor of Ohio, called on the Minute Men of the State and the “Squirrel Hunters” came by thousands to the rescue. You Rev. L. W. James were one of them and this is your Honorable Discharge. September 1862


L. W. James was born in Loudon county, Va., Dec.25, 1813, and answered the final summons Feb. 8 1898, aged 84 years.

His parents were David and Charlotte James who for many years lived near South Woodbury where they settled after leaving their Virginia home in 1835. He was the fifth of a family of eleven children, five of whom still live.

His first schooling was obtained in the primitive log school houses of those days, and later he was a student in the Norwalk high school of which Bishop Thompson was then principal. In a short time he was ordained a minister of the M. E. church, North Ohio conference, and after a year of evangelistic work held various charges in northwestern Ohio. His last charge was Melmore. A strange coincidence is that Melmore was Rev. Ayers’ last charge and he during his first year’s ministry at Cardington was called to preach the funeral of this aged man who just fifty years ago preached at Melmore.

In 1843 he was married to Miss Martha A. Joy, of Delaware, Ohio, who still survives. To them were born four children, the eldest daughter dying in infancy; the others are A. W. James, Mrs. Ollie Stovenour, and E. M. James all of Cardington.

He was converted when sixteen years of age, and was ever a devout Christian, his own family altar always seeming to be a source of especial comfort and inspiration to him. Always a close student of the Bible, he had long been a firm believer in the doctrines of holy living and the second blessing, as taught therein; and his faith sustained and comforted him to the end. During a long sickness, the last two weeks of which were filled with great suffering, he frequently expressed himself as being ready to go, and that for the future all was well with him. His patience, thoughtfulness and gratitude to those who cared for him were truly touching; and conscious till the last, every faculty of his mind seemed more than usually acute during his sickness.

In the early hours of the morning the messenger so eagerly looked for came to him, and the aged husband and father gently passed over the dark river to a sweet and eternal rest.

As a friend and neighbor Mr. James was ever kind and ready to lend a helping hand. As a Christian his exemplary life tells the story better than words. As a father and husband he was kind and indulgent. Verily he has gone to his reward.

The funeral services were conducted from his late residence by Rev. M. T. Ayers, the sermon being taken from the story of the life of Jacob. The hymns selected were those he was accustomed to use in his ministry, fifty years ago, and seemed especially appropriate. The interment was made in the Cardington cemetery.

Born, Lived, Died – Thus the three chapters of life’s mysterious book have been read by another of the Great Author’s servants. The book is closed, but we know that the seals thereof have been delivered to Him who alone is worthy to break them.


Martha Ann was born March 15, 1821 to Wilder and Martha Smith Joy in Delaware County. She was next to the oldest of 11 children.



I am not positive but am pretty sure the shawl she has on is the one I still have.

When her husband died in 1898, she went to live with her son Edward Montalban and his wife Olive Elizabeth James. When Edward died on February 5, 1914, she went to live with her daughter, Ollie Stovenour.

Martha Ann’s obituary:

Mrs. Martha James passed away Thursday at C. S. Stovenour home. Mrs. Martha James, aged ninety-three years, died at the home of her daughter, Mrs. C. Stovenour, east of Cardington, Thursday, where she had lived the past eight months. The funeral was held Saturday afternoon at the Stovenour home, conducted by Rev. McMeeken, pastor of Cardington M. E. church, whose text was taken from Job, 5th chapter and 26th verse. Burial was made in Glendale Cemetery.

Martha A. James was born near Delaware, O., March 15, 1821, died Oct. 15, 1914, aged 93 years and 7 months.

She was the oldest daughter of Wilder and Martha A. Joy, who were the founders of one of the best known pioneer families of Delaware. Of a family of eleven children, Mrs. James and one sister, Mrs. Lucy Casement, now living in Los Angeles, Cal., had long been the only survivors.

In her young womanhood she assisted with the manifold duties of that large household, and taught school for several terms in her home district.

She was united in marriage Sept. 28, 1843, with Ludwell W. James, who preceded her in death more than sixteen years ago. Four children were born to them – a daughter, dying in infancy; A. W. James, and Mrs. Ollie Stovenour, and E. M. James, who passed away last February. She leaves five grandchildren and one great grandchild.

For several years after her marriage, she shared with her husband the duties of the early Methodist ministry. A few years before the Civil war, Mr. and Mrs. James moved to the farm, where she lived ever since, until eight months ago. Since that time she has had a home with her daughter, Mrs. Stovenour, who cared for her faithfully to the end.

A fall twenty years ago made her unable to walk, so that her life for many years had been one of semi-invalidism. Always a woman of much vitality and determination, this enforced inactivity was a great trial to her.

Very early in life she identified herself with the M. E. church, and always professed a firm belief in its doctrines and in the bible.

After an illness of almost four weeks, the end came peacefully, bringing to a close a life journey of unusual length, and rest to the weary traveler.